The village with about 400 inhabitants is reached by asphalt road leading westward from Korcula along the seashore, curving around the nearby bays (Medvinjak, Žrnovska Banja, Vrbovica and Kneže), with beaches, camping sites and holiday houses. Traces of a Roman mosaic wee found in the small formerly fishing village of Kneža, and of Roman buildings in Banja. Račišće lies in a large sheltered bay at the end of this 12 km long road popular among cyclists. The village was founded in 17th century when fugitives from the Turks moved here from Herzegovina and the Makarska coast. In the past the villagers were fisherman, bred livestock, farmed and sailed. Today they are mostly sailors. The Church of the Virgin Mary, with a small loggia in front, is from 1682. The present St Nicholas parish church was built at the end of the 19th century.